A List of the Lists
(Click to go to the list of your choice or scroll down and read them all!)
Page last updated on
The Strange Lives Of Olive Oyl
2. Accident/Force Of Nature/Disaster/Outside Interference/Misunderstanding
3. Matched, Or Outdone, Or Outclassed By Popeye In Olive's Eyes
4. Getting Too Violent With Popeye In Front Of Olive
5. Outclassed By Another Guy Besides Popeye
6. Trying To Get Too Physical, Or Coming On Too Strong, With Olive Oyl Too Soon
7. His Deception/Dirty Trick Uncovered By, Or In Front Of, Olive
8. He Did Shoddy Work
As Johnny Rivers sang in the classic golden-oldie, "A pretty face can hide an evil mind." Attractive, rich, sophisticated, and talented members of the opposite sex don't necessarily have the morals to match their other attributes, or what it takes to build a lasting relationship. Be careful who you give your heart to. When Olive finds our what many of the guys she's been interested in are really like, she's horrified. There are many users and abusers out there who only want to satisfy themselves - at your expense, if need be.
Intervention from Popeye or an outside source was all that prevented Olive from ending up with the wrong guy in some cartoons. Have there been times in your life when friends, family, circumstances, or even God intervened and saved you from disastrous relationships or decisions? Thank God for the interruption! And I'm so glad that God continually shows me that He outclasses all the other "gods" which try to tempt me away from him.
Don't be quick to believe the worst about people you know. There may be more going on behind the scenes than you are aware of. Bluto may not be trying to make them look bad, but is Satan pulling some strings? Are there pressures on them that you aren't aware of?
A relationship involves trust and forgiveness. If Olive had only been willing to give Popeye the benefit of the doubt, or said, "This doesn't seem like the Popeye I know," or "Even if he did do what I think he did, I forgive him," she could have saved herself a lot of trouble later on in many cartoons.
A relationship also takes work. Popeye cannot take for granted that Olive Oyl is "his girl." In some cartoons he reminds me of guys that I've counseled who can't understand why their marriages are falling apart, but yet ignore their wives' feelings, always want things their own way, and have to be "free" to pursue their hobbies and go out with the guys whenever they want even if their mates are bored. And their wives find someone else. Imagine that!
These are not very politically correct, folks.
Sorry!! I'm just describing what
actually happens in the cartoons!!
1. Snow Place Like Home - A thoroughly bored Pierre suddenly comes to life and springs into excited action as he smashes Popeye into the counter in order to get a look over the top of him at Olive Oyl in her bikini. His mouth hangs open in amazed, rapturous delight (a.r.d.). His neck stretches out toward her. Likewise, his eyes stretch out of his head toward her. His mustache straightens and stiffens. Pierre's eyeballs catch on fire and sound a fire alarm. A heat ray comes from his eyes and melts the ice block imprisoning Olive as he gives her a slow once-over. He then rushes to the delighted Olive Oyl with a fur coat.
2. Beach Peach - The lifeguard's entire body stiffens and points straight out from the tower at Olive Oyl. The sound effect, "Boing!" is heard. "Hubba, Hubba!!" he says and then lets out a loud, long wolf whistle. His mouth hangs open in a.r.d. (See previous paragraph for definition). His eyeballs pop out and then leave his head entirely as they travel over to give Olive an extremely close once-over, tracing a gorgeous figure and pretty legs as they do so. When his eyeballs return, he wastes no time zooming to Olive Oyl's side.
3. Cops Is Tops - A robber making a get-away from a heist speeds past Olive Oyl who is standing beside the road doing her imitation of Claudette Colbert in "It Happened One Night." It suddenly dawns on him what he saw. He lets go of the wheel, leans way out of the window and looks back longingly at Olive. Hugging himself in a.r.d., he exclaims, "What a doll!!" and then promptly smashes into a wall. Later in the cartoon, a hulk ignores Olive's attempts to arrest him, becoming doggedly determined to get a kiss from the "babe" instead.
4. Gym Jam - When Bluto spots Olive jogging, he jumps off the ground and hangs suspended for a few moments in the air. His pants legs ride up on him. His upper body stiffens and points toward Olive Oyl. His neck stretches way out toward her. His eyes pop out of his head. His mouth hangs way open and his tongue hangs out. He howls, "YEEEOOOWW!" And then says, "This babe is some angel! That she is for me!" Then he fantasizes that Olive is an angel.
5. A Balmy Swami - When Bluto the hypnotist sees Olive Oyl cheering for him, both his turban and his body spring up and down to appropriate sound effects. His mouth opens in a.r.d. His body stiffens and points toward Olive. His eyes widen and his pupils turn into figures of Bluto and a curvy Olive Oyl beginning to woo. In his fantasy, the Bluto figure reaches up and pulls the eyelid shut so he and the Olive figure can have some privacy.
6. Vacation With Play - The athletic instructor passes over doll-faced Olive Oyl as he's checking out the new women at the resort. He double-takes and rivets his gaze back on her as we hear, "Boing!" His jaw drops and his mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His hat flies off his head. His eyeballs roll out of his head toward Olive and right away he decides that she needs some private lessons. He leers at her with a slightly lupine expression on his face as he furiously paddles the canoe in order to get Olive Oyl, alone and in the mood for love, into his cabin.
7. I'll Be Skiing You - Bluto happily checks out Olive as she skates by. His jaw drops and his mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His tongue hangs out. His eyes pop out. He stretches his neck way up into the air and gives a loud, long, wolf howl (that, sure enough, attracts a real female wolf). Then he says of Olive, "Mmm! I'd like to teach that figure a figure or two!"
8. Safari So Good - Tarzan/Bluto's jaw drops and his mouth hangs open in a.r.d. when he meets Olive. A telegraphic message, "Wotta Woman", is broadcast out of his head. He beats his chest and makes strange noises. He hops wildly around the area, ending up hanging from a tree gazing at her while resting his head on his hands.
9. Alpine For You - When Bluto the guide spots Olive at long range, his eyeballs pop out of his binoculars, his pupils become huge with images of Olive Oyl on them. He says, "OO ,la, la, la, la, this I'd like to guide!"
10. Robin Hood-Winked - The Sheriff Of Nottingham/Bluto's jaw drops and his mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His heart starts enlarging and beating louder and harder, finally morphing into a wolf's head with then howls. He then tells Olive, "For a pretty wench such as thou, ye taxes I forget - and how!"
11. Tops In the Big Top - Bluto gives Olive an extremely close range once-over. His face morphs into a wolf's. He strokes his mustache and says lasciviously, "Mmm...What a feature attraction I'd make with Olive Oyl!"
12. The Fistic Mystic - Bluto's eyes widen and his mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His eyeballs trace a great figure as they gaze at Olive.
13. Popeye and The Pirates - When Pierre spots Olive Oyl, the sound effect, "Boing!" is heard. His eyes, including his patched, presumably blind one, become binoculars to give him a closer look. (Guys won't let a little thing like blindness stop them from ogling Olive!) His mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His mustache starts going up and down and then straightens stiffly out.
14. The Royal Four-Flusher - The Count's eyes which had been half shut suddenly spring open wide when he sees Olive. He leans out over his horse toward her. His neck and upper body elongate toward her. His cigarette holder points straight up. He happily leers at her.
15. Pitchin' Woo At The Zoo - Zookeeper Bluto, standing under a sign that reads, "Wolf", sees Olive. His neck stretches and twists. His eyes pop out. His mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His neck elongates toward Olive. He exclaims, "What a feminine female!"
16. Pre-Hysterical Man - The caveman's art work shows us that he has a preoccupation with beautiful women and when he sees Olive Oyl, his body stiffens and points toward her. His mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His eyes become a slot machine which comes up double "Peach".
17. The Island Fling - Mr. Crusoe surveys Popeye's raft using binoculars. He goes right past Olive Oyl, but then his brain registers what he's seen and he quickly trains the binoculars on her, giving her the once-over, concentrating on her legs and saying, "Those pins bowl me over!"
18. Shape Ahoy - Popeye and Bluto's mouths hang open in a.r.d. Their eyeballs go in and out to the beat of percussion. The leaves they had been using for fans suddenly go wild, come to rest over them acting as their "hair", and signifying that they are entertaining some pretty wild thoughts about the castaway, Ms. Oyl.
19. Toreadorable - The bullfighter's mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His eyes become fire alarm bells and begin ringing like crazy.
On The Vigor - Strongman Bluto's mouth hangs open in a.r.d. His eyes become hearts as a
bell rings, signifying that he's won quite a prize.
Reacting Strongly To Olive Oyl
* - Not only does Dan McBluto fall for her, but a whole bar full of rowdy frontiersmen cheer, shout, and wolf whistle through the second part of her act. Then when Cupid appears, even he briefly gives her the eye.
Count Noah Count goes crazy over the Indian maiden in Double-Cross
Bluto goes ga-ga over the French cutie in Hot Air Aces.
The butler flips for Popeye disguised as a woman in Private Eye
Popeye. We can't blame him because she...er...he's quite attractive (!!!)
til he takes off his disguise.
Bluto wolf-howls and leers at pretty women in bathing suits at the end
of I'll Be Skiing You.
Popeye falls for the "mermaid' in Peep In The Deep.
When we were boys, we saw Bluto or another guy gaze at Olive Oyl with the same excited, intense longing with which we gazed at pictures of the new “Mattel Thingmaker” in the Sears Christmas Catalog. And they pursued her with the dogged determination that we used as we raced down to the Mom and Pop grocery on bikes to obtain a pack of prized baseball cards or to get a rainbow sherbet cone. Was it possible that someday girls would affect us like this, too? We sort of looked forward to it. And when we found ourselves acting and feeling funny around members of the opposite sex, we didn't have to wonder if were sick or going crazy. We remembered the Popeye cartoons and realized what was going on. As we actually started dating and wooing, many of us followed Bluto or the other guys' examples (minus the evil, disrespect, violence, and self-centeredness, of course!) or imitated Popeye when he was at his best and tried to avoid the mistakes he made when he almost lost Olive.
It helps to have a guide to interpret life for you. For me, the
Bible is that guide. It helps me understand what I'm feeling now and
how to make sense out of what's happening in my world. It also shows me
what I have to look forward to. It gives me many examples of how to
(and how not to) live the way God intended me to live.
For You/The Crystal Brawl - When Olive flirts
with Bluto, she has some curves. And as we see the silhouettes of she and Bluto
running up and down the mountains and between the crevices, she morphs from
rail thin to having a figure and back again and so forth. This is especially
evident when the footage is reused (and maybe retouched?) in The Crystal
Brawl. Also, when the creators added new footage of Olive landing in
Bluto's arms to existing scenes for use in that picture, they made her face
Klondike Casanova - Olive has a figure and a cute,
flirty face during some parts of her song-and-dance. And when she and Dan
McBluto are flirting over their soda, even though her face and hair leave
something to be desired, she has a bust. She briefly has a figure again when
she's rooting for Popeye against the bears.
On The Vigor - When Olive first sees Bluto, her wide eyes, long
lashes, and delighted open-mouthed astonishment make her look very
attractive. As Olive sails across the sky in the runaway airplane ride, there
are quick frames in which the creators have given her shapely legs. Look fast
to catch them.
Hillbilly - Olive is gosh-darned cute as a backwoods
heartbreaker both before and after she receives Popeye's
"beautification" treatment, even when she's wearing the
chandelier!! And in some shots, she has shapely lower legs as well.
Popeye Meets Hercules - Olive has a very
pretty face as she comes on to Hercules.
Balmy Swami - When Bluto first sees Olive Oyl and his eyeballs
act out for us the fantasy playing in his mind, the image of Olive that
appears there has a bust and an appealing figure. Olive looks quite dreamy
(pun intended) as she walks in a trance wearing her pretty dress toward
Bluto. Later, after he kisses her awake, she has a lovely face.
Eye Popeye - Olive Oyl makes a beautiful, rich heiress-type
who hires the sleuthing sailor. Mae Questel's breathy delivery of some of
Olive's lines adds to her appeal.
Royal Four-Flusher - When Olive strolls away with the
count, they make quite a striking couple. Up in his penthouse, she strikes an
appealing pose as she coos over the fur coat and affects a subtle, fashion
model walk as she tries it on. Her face looks cute when she's being rocked at
the top of the pole and when she finally lands in Popeye's arms.
And Mistletoe - Olive looks stunning in the scene where
Santa/Bluto has his arms around her as they are decorating the Christmas tree
and she invites him to "Drop in anytime at all, Santa!"
Whoopee - There's something about darker skin which
enhances brunette Olive Oyl's face. And when she's taking a shower
silhouetted in the waterfall, she has some curves and lovely legs. When the
chief is contentedly dreaming about her, the smoke image that appears is
quite pretty indeed.
Peach - Olive's face is very pretty throughout the film
and, in some shots, her calves have more definition than usual. As she coos
over the spot Popeye has chosen, she has shapely hips. When the lifeguard's
eyes leave his head to look Olive over, they trace quite a figure.
9. A Wolf
In Sheik's Clothing - Olive looks quite fetching in her
harem girl/belly dancer outfit and has a figure as she and the sheik pitch
woo in his tent.
Place Like Home - As she dreamily primps for her
date with Pierre, not only is Olive's face lovely, but her body and backside
have some curves which her clinging coat accentuates. Later, when she ends up
in Pierre's arms and when Popeye pulls her away before the kiss, her face and
hair are very pretty. As she's beating on Pierre, trying to stop him from
launching Popeye, her coat hugs her once again. And when she flees from
Pierre, there's that coat doing its thing again.
Oyl for President - A wide-eyed, long-lashed,
appealing Olive does a figure-wiggling walk as she tells Popeye that a woman
should be President. When Olive convenes Congress, she's wearing a red
evening gown and fancy hairstyle. And she has a bust and a figure. Then in a
quick scene, she saunters across the room in this form-fitting gown, showing
off her figure and the hint of an outline of pretty legs under the dress. Her
movements almost look roto-scoped.. Then she goes
behind a pillar and emerges in a men's business suit. Her movements are still
very lifelike and very feminine. Then after she subdues Congress, she stands
in the clinging suit, showing off in a few frames an hour-glass figures. And
she has a pretty and happy look on her face.
Jive - Olive is as cute as a button in many shots in
this cartoon, whether she's wiggling her hips urging Popeye to do something
"jivey", or dancing with Bluto, striking flirty poses at the end of
Symphony In Spinach - Olive wears an evening gown and,
in several scenes, makeup. As she dances to the music, she has some curves.
After Bluto dispatches Popeye and he and Olive are alone at the piano,
Olive's face is quite beautiful. When she gives him the cold shoulder, or has
her hair slightly awry from the struggle, she's about as appealing as the Famous
Studios' Olive Oyl gets.
With Play - A totally doll-faced Olive Oyl strikes a
provocative pose by the pool and gives Bluto a "come hither" look
if there ever was one. Later, as they flirt with one another, Olive's face
often remains very appealing and, in a few frames, the creators draw her with
just slightly better shaped legs than usual.
Is Tops - Living doll Olive Oyl imitates Claudette Colbert
in "It Happened One Night", assuming a seductive stance, hiking up
her skirt, and showing off her perfect figure and her legs. She literally
Woo - The Paramount/Famous Studios'
"Babe-ification" of Olive Oyl reaches its zenith in this cartoon.
She is beautiful throughout the cartoon in an evening gown that shows off her
1. Mess Production - I chose this as number one as much for its historical significance as
for the fact that an Olive with a bust, long eyelashes, and full red lips
even draws a wolf whistle from an inanimate object. With this film, the
creators served notice that Olive Oyl was going to be treated differently
from here on in. This was not the Fleischers' Olive Oyl!!
And The Pirates - Although Olive Oyl has been drawn better in other
cartoons, in this one she has a bust in two scenes!! The first is when she's
sailing merrily along on Popeye's boat singing about meeting pirates. And the
second is when Pierre takes her in his arms and lays her back for a kiss.
And The Belle - Olive has a cute face when Bluto's flirting with
her and at other points in the cartoon.
Fistic Mystic - A pretty-faced Olive puckers up to kiss Popeye at
the end of the picture.
A Haul In
-A cute Olive greets the movers and enjoys Bluto's
- Nurse Olive makes doe-eyes at Popeye and Bluto.
Will Be Beaus - Olive's face, mannerisms, and stances are
appealing at points in the cartoon. When she gladly accepts a date from an
obviously amorous Bluto (after he's gotten rid of Popeye), we boys envied the
- As Olive looks back and forth between Bluto and
Popeye, trying to choose between them, before she does the eeny, meeny, miney
bit with her nose, her face is lovely. And she looks nice in some shots in
her wedding dress.
Fright To The Finish - When she jumps out of her stockings, Olive's got legs!! At the end of the picture, as she kisses Popeye, her face is nicely made up.
My home page with links to my Buffy, Popeye, TV/Movies, Beliefs, and other pages.
Return to top of this page.
All the aspects of Bluto I could think of are discussed on various Bluto pages. Go here for a complete listing.
As the title says, lots about Olive Oyl. You can choose from a number of titles to link to many other of my pages about this lovely lady.
My Popeye Page. Lots of links to my pages about the King Of Spinach.
This page was created using Corel Word Perfect Suite 8 and Netscape Navigator Composer. All characters and images are legal properties of their respective companies and are used here without permission for entertainment, review, and informational purposes only. All other material is copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 by Steve R. Bierly.